Monday 11 April 2011

pennyroyal oil tea

I have woven webs
of intricate lace and dust
into my wedding dress,
my wounds are painted in lipstick
and blush,
evensong burns on my tongue .

(Y)our  church rocks
in the wind
under the force of earth
rupturing,
 venting spirits
caught in her belly,
children never seeing light

day – night – dawn dusk,
dreams resting on fingertips

Superstitious women    
forced heather into my hands,
they saw me
standing silent at the lake
watching fireflies,
pathos in indignation.

Twisted claws -
my hands un-ringed,
cramp claims them for its own.
Where has my potassium gone,
magnesium sulphate mutes my voice
when I am lost at sea.

When I was younger we sat
drinking pennyroyal,
kissing the sun before I discovered
running with the wolves
through fields,
snow covered from September.

First frost coming
before the fashion of men
under my quilted blanket,
should I have folded back
upon myself to accommodate need
 restless under the many folds
of placid skin

Pieces have scattered to the wind
torn from my book of prayer,
I cannot remember
(Mother) Maria whispering in my ear
words of Latin tangled in my hair,
I remember her palm
across my face.

Tenderness or torment

My mind twists around your
even voices,
sane so they say
standing over in contemptuous robes

The funeral possession is slow
low to the ground,
I can be cruel
I don't know why.

Birds circle over head
waiting for bones
to become frail,
we shall all lay here alone
at some point,
slowly disappearing
into the earth

0 comments:

Post a Comment