Tuesday 16 August 2011

for Iris

There is fate
I hear it calling   distantly,
I had not reckoned that it knew my name
but he did           and spoke it
with an eloquence I would not have
associated with a poor
upbringing-         we are poor (I)
in moral fibre and perhaps character,
so they say         of me and I behave
only to your expectation.

You see this love and assume
the demons caught beneath,
under the net of capture are yours.

Why
                why
is there per         sist         ence
in memory,
I cannot will it so or         stow its feed or
stem its hunger.

I watch dutiful
Catholics recounting vows
hopeless and lost,
for her sins of innocence-
understand mighty,
I thank Iris
for delivering this body
complete to its road.

There are many paths
to lead hope astray,
they remark on fragility
yet seemingly engrossed by the frailties
of a woman grasping
at womanhood she believed
denied to her.

I feel the tug of reality
pulls at wounds gripped
by a recall-
manufactured efforts,
if they are wrong
then am I held together
by misguided hope,
string     twine and glue.

Deliver me from evil,
                I prayed or pray- yet
you never came.
Now I am alone with her
Priestess,
                 protesting beautifully
in a language I cannot speak
                but find myself agreeing
too.

Copyright: Samantha Ledger 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment